TERRIFIC HEADLINES ….. The Whole World Is Our Constituency
Reliable, Authoritative, Credible, Efficient & Very Professional…
GUIDING PHILOSOPHY: To operate with non-negotiable virtues of truth, integrity, conscience, accountability, and respect for professional ethics, that we have been able to construct over the decades.
PREACHING FAMILY VALUES FOR THE SAKE OF THE PRESENT & FUTURE GENERATIONS
Evidently, the whole world is in a defining period, given several sordid occurrences that are obtruding themselves, particularly issues dealing with family values and collaboration of husband and wife to raise their children and wards properly at this period, when modernization has brought along with it the erosion of our values, cultures, and traditions. There is widespread moral decadence that has eaten into the very fabrics of the society. And regrettably, this issue is not limited to youths alone but also some renegades who have reached ages of maturity. The society is in bad shape today (It is a global phenomenon) Government, parents and organizations with parental responsibilities have not lived up to expectations. This activity is premised on the following:
- Everyone in a society has some basic functions to perform as influencing development is a joint task of the government and the governed, as well as organizations with parental responsibilities
- The roles of these bodies are so important that in situations where they are not able to perform efficiently and effectively, society suffers tremendously. It is what they sow in terms of bringing the young ones up that they reap.
- Technological development has led to the invasion of the airwaves of the developing world by the Western media, with the consequent effect of the younger generation imbibing the cultures and values of the West.
- The situation has assumed frightening dimensions of erosion of cultural values in the Third World. It is now commonplace finding the younger elements in Africa dancing to the tunes of foreign musicians; without even understanding the lyrics of the songs. Young boys now wear ear-rings, hitherto an exclusive practice by the female sex.
- WHY ENCOURAGE UNITY OF COUPLES & FAMILY COHESION?
‘’If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?’’ Psalm 11:3
- Our advocacy and public enlightenment campaign activity on FAMILY VALUES & VIRTUES aims at encouraging people and organizations that have responsibilities for exercising parental functions to do more in order to meet the expectations of right-thinking members of the society.
- Lack of family values and virtues form part of the root causes of social vices that have almost become an obsession globally. Given the increasing and alarming incidents of condemnable vices and unusual occurrences of broken homes, curable and incurable diseases, and acts that could cause all forms of violence, there is a compelling need for intervention through a collaborative approach by spouses, government and all organizations with parental responsibilities that should be vigilant and be more committed to the development of the growing ones.
COHESION AS A STRONG FACTOR: Some marriages are figuratively said to be made in heaven, because of the seemingly perfect nature of relationships by united couples who play the game according to the rules. It is an established fact that disorderly homes are next to hell in terms of agonies experienced by some family units made up of father, mother, son, and daughter. Therefore, people pray for the divine Hand of God to guide them in choosing their spouses. It is even Biblical and contained in the Holy Quoran. Proverbs 18:22 states that ‘’He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favour from the LORD.’’ The Holy Book goes ahead, in Ephesians 5:25 to state categorically that: “For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her.” Genesis 2:24: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”
THE FAMILY VALUES CAMPAIGN — WHY THE CONCERN? — THE NEED FOR COLLECTIVE INTERVENTION IN A DEFINING PERIOD
Evidently, the whole world is in a defining period, given several sordid occurrences that are obtruding themselves, particularly issues dealing with family values and collaboration of husband and wife to raise their children and wards properly at this period, when modernization has brought along with it the erosion of our values, cultures and traditions. In the past few years, economic turndown and terrorism have proven that know no boundaries. The global community is, therefore, united in taking precautionary measures to cope with the requirements of the emerging times. There is widespread moral decadence that has eaten into the very fabrics of the society. And regrettably, this issue is not limited to youths alone; but also some renegades who have reached ages of maturity.
In consideration of the fact that the quality of today’s children would naturally determine the society’s future, it is important for Government, parents, and organizations with parental responsibilities that have not lived up to expectations to take positive steps to improve on their obligations. Everyone in any society has some basic functions to perform. The roles of these three bodies are so important that in situations where they are not able to perform efficiently and effectively, society suffers tremendously. When people talk about successful societies, they must not forget that good family background and spousal relationships are considerable influences of successes that they enjoy today. Accordingly, we believe we must collectively treat the following salient factors:
- Highlight precautionary measures as the primary goal; with reactive options as added secondary measures
- It highlights the need for youths to understand in practical terms that their future and that of the nation are in their hands; and therefore, prepare themselves for participation in national development.
- Treat options available for development individually, collectively and corporately, and encourage the provision of alternatives such as participation in the creative and agriculture sub-sectors, among others, in order to be productive
- Preach Good Governance and social responsibility on the part of the citizenry
- Treat issues pertaining to collaboration with Governments and their agencies with regard to the development of Nigeria
In order for any society to progress, parents and adults must live virtuous lives that will promote love and enhance enviable family values. In particular, parents must build good families as microcosms of the society, with couples being the moral compass to ensure that there is unity, commitment, and indissolubility in marriage, in order to keep the family together. Family values are being threatened as a result of foreign influences, under the guise of modernization. Social vices have bred false lifestyles and terrorism, which are conceived as modernization. Effective monitoring and strict parental guidance are required in the growth, development, and success of their children and wards. The effect of the invasion of the airwaves by the foreign media has resulted in grave problems associated with violence, and other wrong values that were unknown to the society.
MAJOR CONSIDERATIONS FOR ACTION:
Five broad segments of society are responsible for the proper growth of the young ones.
- If the correct statistics are taken, it would be revealed that only a fraction of parents pay particular attention to the development of their children.
- Additionally, only a few organizations with parental responsibilities, like institutions of learning, religious bodies, civil society, and philanthropists pay adequate attention to youth development.
- The government itself that has the duty of creating an enabling environment must do more for the society to develop fully.
- There must be changes in the attitudes of all about family values that largely dictate how a society develops and this is where the private sector comes in. The concerns are, but are not limited to the following:
- The civil society and civil society organizations including the media that shape opinions must take active part in aiding, as well as moving policy formulators, and those who implement policies to sustain the mission and vision of the society/organization, through a proper commitment to established procedures for bringing up children and promoting family values.
WHY THE IMPORTANCE? — TERRIFIC HEADLINES takes cognizance of the following:
- There is the need for urgent intervention in family values and virtues, in view of the fact that when bad practice is continued over a period of time, it becomes the norm; hence the need for proactive measures to shape the conducts of the young ones in their formative years through adolescence.
- Because the younger ones must trust and respect their parents and parental organizations, they emulate them and internalize their ideals. Nothing comes easy. Parents must plan, pray and be resolute to be able to keep a happy family.
- It is the responsibility of couples/parents/spouses; organizations with parental responsibilities & Government to anticipate and prevent occurrences that derail family units.
- It is better for damage not to occur at all than to go into crisis management. The reactive approach is more costly in terms of damages done, more expensive in terms of finances injected, and takes a long while for the crises to be combated successfully.
- Creating personal interest in the welfare of the target audience in the society would go a long way in solidifying relationships, and eventually promote societal growth
- We are convinced that Nigerians generally, including citizens in all strata of the society, particularly family units, need to be mobilized for development.
- Sensitize and educate the target audience on family values and responsibilities
- A new attitude and a new orientation are required for sustainable growth and development.
- We believe that every reasonable person must be socially responsible. Therefore, society must collaborate to curtail criminal and social vices.
- Help parents and organizations with parental responsibilities to play their parts well.
THE ROLE OF WOMEN IN THE CAMPAIGN FOR MORAL RECTITUDE AS THE PIVOTS OF FAMILY UNITS
It is believed that women, as pivots of family units are better placed to lead the campaign against social vices and security breaches; and how to arrest the trend. Couples must also stand committed to the objective of joint responsibility for the successes of couples in life. We welcome interventions by way of support and collaboration of private and public-spirited individuals and organizations for the successful implementation of this social development campaign that commenced over two years ago – and has so far been wholly financed by our company.
CREATING THE ENABLING ENVIRONMENT& THE RESCUE MISSION — DOING AWAY WITH ATTITUDES THAT HINDER DEVELOPMENT – PEOPLE HAVE TO BE CONVINCED ABOUT CHANGE
One strong point is that people have to be aware that what they are doing requires a change. The perception of people has to be changed to effect attitudinal changes. This could take a fairly long time because behavioural patterns have become almost a norm. Evidently, there is a need for respect for core and shared values, and the collective ability of the citizenry to do away with attitudes and cultures that have continued to incapacitate developmental strides. Today, Africa parades a paradox of opulence, growth and pervasive poverty. Generally, it is believed that Africa’s future may very well depend on the ability of leaders, elites and the general populace to evolve workable systems that would guarantee sustainable and viable cultures of governance and democracy.
THE ISSUES AT STAKE: ENFORCING INTERNATIONAL STATUTES LIKE THE CHILD RIGHTS ACT
There is no doubt that the very harsh economy of Nigeria is taking its toll on the psyche of the citizenry. It is to be noted that no amount of foreign interest or support would be adequate to substitute for indigenous engagement in finding solutions to problems confronting society. No solution can be more enduring than home-grown solutions. The dreams and aspirations of the young ones are every so often violated by such vices as child labour, forced marriages, discrimination, violence, and lack of equal opportunities. Additionally, there are huge numbers of children that are suffering deprivations that negate the provisions of the Child Rights Act. The world will be a better place to live in if issues militating against the proper development of these children are addressed. The global community, through the United Nations, realizes the importance of the matter under reference and has, therefore, inserted this factor in the Sustainable Development Goals that will end in 2030. The 2030 UN Agenda aims at unlocking their potentials. For instance, some of such issues that are standing in the way of girls’ progress are discrimination, poverty, child early and forced marriage.
THE REALITY – THE ERA OF WHITE COLLAR JOBS IS GONE: It was common in the 1950s 60s and 70s, to find fresh university graduates walking straight from their campuses to take up appointments in the civil service as senior officials; and also in other important organizations with attractive salary packages. In actual fact, recruiting organizations visit the campuses to recruit promising graduates before the completion of their studies. Within one week, they would have secured car loans to purchase their first cars, rent beautiful apartments, marry their suitors and commence building highly lucrative careers. The jobs are no longer there as the market is saturated. Even in the advanced world, unemployment figures continue to shoot up. Technological development is erazing jobs all over the world.
Those developed nations have their problems too and they expect Africans to solve their own problems. It is obvious that following the global economic reconfiguration, Africa’s leadership must be prepared to adjust and adapt in order to effect the necessary structural adjustments. They must muster all the resources available, and strategize for the evolution of a more prosperous polity. President Barack Obama’s public speech during his year 2009 visit to Ghana, pointed out this fact when he asserted that “Africa’s future is up to Africans’, and that “Development depends on good governance; and that is the ingredient that has been missing for too long in Africa. “And that is the responsibility that can be met in Africa only by Africans.” Youths must, therefore, be prepared to be creative and explore possible areas where they could be gainfully employed without waiting for the government to employ them.
“The agricultural sector in Africa has four times the power to create jobs and reduce poverty than any other sector. ‘’The future of Africa’s youth does not lie in migration to Europe” nor should it be “at the bottom of the Mediterranean.”He proposed rather that an agribusiness-driven economy could be one of the economic reasons Africa’s youth choose to remain on the continent. “We must turn rural areas from zones of economic misery to zones of economic prosperity,”
.Adesina said further: “This requires new agricultural innovations and transforming agriculture into a sector for creating wealth. We must make agriculture a really cool choice for young people. ‘’The future millionaires and billionaires of Africa will come initially from agriculture” and therefore, suggested an economic theory of industrialization that sees Africa’s industrialization starting from the agricultural sector. Adesina said that agro-industrialization has greatest potential for Africa to achieve more rapid and inclusive growth – and create jobs. ‘’If you want industrialization of Africa and massive job creation, focus on industrializing the agriculture sector. ‘’To rapidly modernize agriculture, youth must be engaged in the sector and perception must change for youths to regard agriculture and see agriculture as a business.’’
THE CREATIVE INDUSTRY: There are enormous potentials and opportunities in Nigeria waiting to be tapped. One of the problems created by the discovery of crude oil is the neglect of Agriculture which used to be the mainstay of the economy. People abandoned the farms in millions to seek greener pastures and good living in cities and urbanized settlements. Youths too look up to thousands of Nigerians making a living in Western countries and seek to join them. If they can’t go through the legitimate process, they pursue the ambition of travelling aboad with reckless abandon. They forget that the Western nations of decades ago are no longer as vibrant as they were; because they now have their own challenges that have made them tighten their immigration regulations. Those living abroad will inform you that the good times are gone. There is unemployment in the Western world, just as there are homeless people, failures, and criminals roaming the streets of the developed world. This is in addition to social problems that are not in tandem with the cultures of Nigeria.
WE ARE ALL TALENTED: Many people have great brains but don’t really put them to profitable use. A person would only be able to utilize his or her talents if he or she discovers such latent gifts. Creativity derives from being creative. Every human being has some innate or inherent capabilities deposited in them by the Creator. This explains why people could be more gifted than one another in certain endeavours. Talents and capacities vary. It is possible for a person to be a talented vocalist, but a failure in playing the organ. To be creative is explained as ‘’having or showing an ability to make new things or think of new ideas: using the ability to make or think of new things: involving the process by which new ideas, stories, etc., are created’’ (Marriam Webster Dictionary) Being creative could be by way of inventions, or the ability of a person to use his or her brain or endowments to perform some tasks that are relatively unique. Therefore, youths, spend your time wisely. Those blue films and other dreadful acts that are imbibed from the incursive cable television programmes are not in tune with our ways of life here. Instead, discover your talent and put it to profitable use.
THINKING POSITIVELY Thinkers are best positioned to be creative. You must think deeply to be successful in every human endeavour. Thoughts are translated into gains. Several people have carved their names in gold in the area of inventions. Some did but were never known because they lived in obscurity. Others too invented some useful items which their societies never bothered to encourage and so, lost great opportunities. In the past few decades, remarkable achievements have been recorded in the creative industry. The age of the computer and the Internet is contributing phenomenally to the process of change and development. Several people have carved their names in gold in the area of inventions and innovations. Some did but were never known because they lived in obscurity. Others too invented some useful items which their societies never bothered to encourage and so, lost great opportunities. Nigeria has also produced several geniuses that were, however, not followed or encouraged, to be able to tap their potentials to the fullest.
THE NEED FOR WOMEN TO INCREASE THEIR EFFORTS AT PROMOTING DIALOGUE AND PEACEFUL COEXISTENCE
We are implementing a Social Development Campaign that serves to promote the unity of family units as a way of developing the society through the joint involvement of parents and organizations with parental responsibilities. is about mobilizing our society for development, utilizing family units; with a strong belief that new attitudes and new orientation, are required for sustainable growth and development. Remarkably, every reasonable person must be socially responsible. The recognition also aims at mobilizing people and organizations engaged in parental responsibilities; including figures like teachers, priests, peers, and the media, to play prominent parts in influencing society, particularly through bringing up the child. ‘’Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it’’. (PROVERB 22: 6) May the Good Lord bless Nigeria.
TARGET AUDIENCE & SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: For over two (2) years, we have taken it as part of our social responsibility the task of public enlightenment on proactive measures that could be embraced to reform Nigeria through family values. We have worked conscientiously, knowing that there is an urgent and huge need to reform our society through the utilization of family units. Our fundamental assignment has been to contribute to ongoing efforts at constructing a greater Nigeria, and in due course the whole of Africa. This concept of FAMILY VALUES & VALUES is very rational and its likely positive effects very obvious. The following constitute the target audience:
- Governments; must provide the enabling environment.
- Parents; Organizations with parental responsibilities; Civil Society Organizations and the entire society
- Equally affected are institutions charged with mentoring and parental responsibilities that serve to inculcate in our youths the right values, ethics, and morals in every facet of the society.
- A broad spectrum of the global community with an emphasis on Nigeria, Africa, and indeed, the global community. However, we regulate our audience in accordance with the description and directives of our CLIENTS and the dictates of our campaign’s mission and goals.
OBJECTIVES: Promote socio-political and economic development
- Promote family values and a better understanding of the roles of members of family units. For this purpose, a dedicated website and other social media channels are in place for interaction and publishing of information on family values and virtues all year round; with a view to contributing to local and global efforts to build families and encourage women emancipation.
- Recognize & encourage the female gender and women generally, as pivots of family units. A woman combines a unique position as a wife, a mother, sister, lover, in-law, and grandmother. These roles place her at a unique and advantageous position to a major stakeholder in whatever happens in a family unit, a society, a nation, and indeed the whole world. In spite of these important roles, history has not been too kind to women in terms of recording positive events that tally with the level of contributions of women to development generally. A hard look at supportive spouses in political and corporate governance brings out personalities who have disallowed tribulations in different forms, to extinguish the fire of their love for one another.
- Everyone in a society has some basic functions to perform as influencing development is a joint task of the government and the governed, as well as organizations with parental responsibilities. The roles of these bodies are so important that in situations where they are not able to perform efficiently and effectively, society suffers tremendously. It is what they sow in terms of bringing the young ones up that they reap.
- Proactive steps are required to reduce and control criminal and social vices and promote FAMILY VALUES